How to Hem Jeans


How to hem your jeans while keeping the original, distressed hem.
_ _ _

Back when I was in high school, I sent my new jeans to the tailor to get hemmed. They literally cut off the bottom and hemmed at the desired height. They looked awful. NEVER AGAIN.
_ _ _

Try on your jeans and see how (too) long they are with your desired shoes. Use a ruler to measure. Mine were 4 1/2 inches too long! Yes, I am a shorty.



To keep the original hem, divide the too-long length by two. 

For me, that would be 4 1/2 divided by 2 = 2 1/4 inches. 

Fold over the hem and measure from the inside edge of the hem. Pin and sew right at the edge of the hem.


Turn the hem inside the pant leg. Iron the hem down. Try on your pants to make sure the length is where you want it.


If the length is correct, cut away the excess fabric. Leave 1/4" to 1/3" of excess fabric.


Blind stitch the unfinished edge to the main leg of the jeans. You can use foot "R" with your brother sewing machine or do it by hand. I lost my "R" foot so ... I did it by hand. Only took a few minutes.


These jeans are 4/12 inches shorter but still lookin' good!




1 comment

  1. I did this recently and it worked out so well! No more broken sewing machine needles for me!

    ReplyDelete